- Observer Corps
- Lee County Government Meetings (partial list) R11/16)
- Board of County Commissioners (BOCC)
- Lee County District School Board http://www.leeschools.net
- Lee County Mosquito Control http://www.lcmcd.org
- Lee Memorial Health Systems Board of Directors http://ww.leememorial.org
- City of Bonita Springs http://ww.cityofbonitasprings.org
- City of Cape Coral http://www.capecoral.net
- City of Fort Myers http://www.cityftmyers.com
- Town of Ft Myers Beach http://www.fortmyersbeachfl.gov
- Village of Estero http://www.estero-fl.gov
- Other Committees and Councils, include:
- Charlotte Harbor National Estuary Program http://www.chnep.org
- Coastal Advisory Committee http://www.lee-county.com
- Horizon Council http://www.lee-county.com/business
- Community Human Services Council http://www.lee-county.com
- Metropolitan Planning Organization http://www.leempo.com
- Southwest Florida Regional Planning Council http://www.swfrpc.org
- Estero Bay Agency on Bay Management http://www.swfrpc.org/abm.shtuil
League of Women Voters of Lee County Observer Corps Procedures (Rev 11/16)
For Printable Copies of This Information:
What is the LWV Observer Corps?
- A structured way for individuals to exercise their right to know and to promote government transparency and accountability.
- LWV Observers attend meetings to gather information. Through the process, their presence encourages better, more transparent government.
- A LWV observer is an individual who attends a governmental meeting, notes what happens at the meeting, and reports back to the League and through the League to the community.
- Observers help to ensure that citizens are aware of government decisions that impact their lives. They help ensure that government is handling issues “in the sunshine,” in the open.
- Observers keep elected and appointed officials on notice; they let them know that someone is watching what decisions are being made and how they are being made. Ensuring that government meetings are conducted in an open and acceptable way is critical to all of the League’s efforts and the health of our democracy.
- Observer programs are not vehicles for individuals to work personal or partisan agendas.
- Observers generally do not “act” or speak on issues in meetings unless serving as a designated spokesperson for the League. Observers should not provide commentary or testimony on issues on behalf of the League. (from LWVUS #36)
LWVLCF Observer Corps Procedures
- Sign up to observe. LWVLCF Members should send email to email@example.com with name, email address, phone number, and government meetings they wish to attend on behalf of LWVLCF.
- Attend government meetings as LWVLCF observer
- Wear LWV button where visible.
- Observe and take notes.
- Pick up any handouts available.
- Do not make comments/speak while wearing a LWV button (This connotes that the League of Women Voters is speaking.) Only the LWVLCF President or her/his designee may speak for the League.
- Report to LWVLCF. Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org about the meeting attended. Highlight issues important to LWVLCF. In addition, you may want to report at a LWVLCF meeting. NOTE: LWVLCF may use this information to notify our members, the public and/or to take action.
- HAVE FUN!!!
League of Women Voters (LWV) Issues and Programs
- Impact on Issues LWVUS public policy positions and LWV Principles. http://lwv.org/content/impact-issues-online-edition
- Study and Action. LWV Florida Public Policy Positions http://thefloridavoter.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/2015_17_Study-Action-Book-FINAL.pdf
- League of Women Voters Lee County http://www.lwvlee.org
Lee County Government Meetings (partial list) R11/16)
(Check websites or call to confirm meeting dates, times, agendas, and viewing options)
Board of County Commissioners (BOCC)
Old Lee County Commission Chambers
2120 Main Street, Fort Myers, FL 33901
BOCC Meetings: 1st and 3rd Tuesdays at 9:30AM
BOCC Workshops: 1st and 3rd Tues at 1:30pm
Workshop Notices: http://www.leegov.com/LegalNotices/workshops
Advisory Committees: http://www.leegov.com/LegalNotices/advisory
Lee County District School Board http://www.leeschools.net
2855 Colonial Blvd, Fort Myers, FL 33966
Board Meetings: Tuesdays
Regular/Action 6:00PM (Voting)
Lee County Mosquito Control http://www.lcmcd.org
15191 Homestead Road
Lehigh Acres, FL 33971
Meetings: 1st Thursday after 1st Monday at 10:00AM http://www.lcmcd.com/events/
Lee Memorial Health Systems Board of Directors http://ww.leememorial.org
Gulf Coast Medical Center
Medical Office Building, Suite 190 (smaller of two buildings)
13681 Doctors Way, Fort Myers, FL 33912
Meetings: usually Thursdays at 1:00pm
check web site for specifics: http://www.leememorial.org/boardofdirectors/board_committee_meeting.asp
City of Bonita Springs http://ww.cityofbonitasprings.org
9101 Bonita Beach Road, Bonita Springs, FL 34135
Council Meetings: 1st Wednesday 5:30PM
3rd Wednesday 2:00AM
City of Cape Coral http://www.capecoral.net
1015 Cultural Park Blvd (small building on 2nd floor)
Cape Coral, FL 33990
Council Meetings: Monday at 4:30PM unless a holiday
City of Fort Myers http://www.cityftmyers.com
2200 Second Street, Fort Myers, FL 33901
Meetings: 1st and 3rd Mondays between 4:30pm\ 5:00pm
Town of Ft Myers Beach http://www.fortmyersbeachfl.gov
2523 Blvd, Fort Myers, FL 33931
1st Monday – Work 10:00 am then council meeting at 2:00pm
3rd Monday – work 2pm then council meeting at 6:30pm
Village of Estero http://www.estero-fl.gov
9401 Corkscrew Palms Circle, Estero, Fl 33928
Council meeting records (agenda, minutes, video) http://estero-fl.gov/council-meeting-records/
Other Committees and Councils, include:
Charlotte Harbor National Estuary Program http://www.chnep.org
3rd Mon, every other month, 9:30am
Coastal Advisory Committee http://www.lee-county.com
Last Monday, each month 9:30am
Horizon Council http://www.lee-county.com/business
First Friday each month
Community Human Services Council http://www.lee-county.com
Third Tues, 1st month of each quarter 5:30pm
Metropolitan Planning Organization http://www.leempo.com
Third Friday, 9am
Southwest Florida Regional Planning Council http://www.swfrpc.org
Third Thursday, 9am
Estero Bay Agency on Bay Management http://www.swfrpc.org/abm.shtuil
Second Monday, 9:30am